The 96th Burning of Zozobra on Labor Day Friday, September 4, 2020, is a no-crowd event and will be televised FOR FREE at 8 PM MDT in New Mexico on KOAT Channel 7 and streamed on their website at https://www.koat.com/ live from Fort Marcy Park in Santa Fe, New Mexico, America's oldest capital city.
Zozobra is a rain-or-shine event, weather permitting. Weather conditions may require an earlier or later start.
How To Be An Expert Gloom Burner
Starting on July 1st, you can add your glooms to Zozobra to burn with him and release the gloom of a difficult year, so don't forget to start saving up your worries, anxieties and gloom make Zozobra bur brighter than ever!
Burning your gloom is an easy task for us and we can't wait to do it for you because we want to send your worries up in smoke with Zozobra.
Relationship gone south? Boss too bossy? Had it up to here with the virus? Whatever it is, we will burn your gloom for you! Or want to be a little introspective? What have you done to cause gloom for others this year? What part of you do you want to leave in the past? What are you ready to let go of so you can start anew?
Filled to the top of his gloomy head, Zozobra will burn bigger and brighter than ever because of the woes of 2020. Every gloom will be printed out on paper and stuffed inside Zozobra before he burns on Friday, September 4, 2020.
Will YOU Be Ready to Burn Him?
Since this year's burning will be free to watch on television and online, we want to help you make the most of it. Here are some ideas to do just that:
- Get your Zozobra gear here and dress up when you watch Zozobra go down in flames.
- Dig out your favorite New Mexico recipes or take a virtual cooking class to put New Mexico's signature cuisine on your Zozobra Night dinner table.
- Post pictures of your Zozobra night on your social media and use the hashtags #zozobra and #burnmygloom for a chance to be featured on Zozobra's social media.
- Gather the full force ot your goodwill and faith in the future to call forth the Fire Spirit, Zozobra's mortal foe, who will battle the feelings of sorrow and despair that Zozobra has gathered to give him strength.
- Don't forget to shout "Burn Him" when the Fire Spirit appears!
- Experience the freedom from gloom that happens when Zozobra goes down in flames.
- Winess New Mexico’s best fireworks display as you sing along to a song that you know and love.
- Go to bed in the best mood ever and dream of a happier tomorrow
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2020 CURRENT SCHDULED ROAD CLOSURES BY TIME OF DAY (subject to change)
- Murales Road closes from Valle del Sol to Cuesta del Norte
- Murales Road closes from Bishop's Lodge Road to Old Taos Highway
- Bishop's Lodge Road closes from Paseo de Peralta to Valley Drive
- Murales Road closes completely from Bishop's Lodge Road to Old Taos Highway.
- Artist/Hyde Park Road closes from Bishop's Lodge to Gonzales Road. Through traffic will be able to pass on Gonzales Road, but with adjacent road closures, streets may experience congestion, so please allow extra time.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2020 CURRENT SCHDULED ROAD CLOSURES BY ROAD NAME (subjct to change)
- Closes at 6 AM from Valle del Sol to Cuesta del Norte
- Closes at 7 AM from Bishop's Lodge Road to Old Taos Highway
BISHOP'S LODGE ROAD
- Closes at 4 PM from Paseo de Peralta to Valley Drive
ARTIST/HYDE PARK ROAD
- Closes at 5 PM from Bishop's Lodge to Gonzales Road. Through traffic will able to pass on Gonzales Road, but with adjacent road closures, streets may experience congestion, so please allow extra time.
JOIN US ON TELEVISION ON KOAT CHANNEL 7 OR ONLINE AT https://www.koat.com/ TO BURN YOUR GLOOM IN SANTA FE, NM, AT 8 PM MDT ON SEPTEMBER 4, 2020, THE FRIDAY BEFORE LABOR DAY!