When is Zozobra this year? The 96th Annual Burning of ZOZOBRA is SEPTEMBER 4, 2020, the Friday before Labor Day, in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
ZOZOBRA 2020 WILL BE A NO-CROWD EVENT, TELEVISED LIVE FOR FREE IN NEW MEXICO ON KOAT CHANNEL 7 AND STREAMED ON THE WEB AT https://www.koat.com/
How tall is Zozobra? 50 feet 6 inches tall.
How much does Zozobra weigh? Approximately 2,000 lbs.
What is Zozobra made of? Wood, wire, poultry netting, cotton cloth, nails, screws, pulleys, plywood, shredded paper, spray paint, pizza pans and duct tape!
Is the event suitable for children? Most kids love Zozobra, but a 50-foot marionette can be intimidating for some kids, and fireworks always come with noise.
How many people attended the event?Almost 64,000 revelers saw the 95th Burning of Zozobra in 2019!
What happens if it rains? We let it rain! Zozobra is a rain-or-shine event and he WILL burn. Sometimes rain comes early and we delay, sometimes later and we go early if we must.
What and when is ZozoFest? The FREE 8th Annual ZOZOFEST and ZOZOBRA ART EXHIBIT is a welcoming, family-friendly community event taking place Friday-Sunday, August 28-30, 2020, online with a virtual museum-style gallery
When is the Zozobra Art Show? The Annual Zozobra Art and Photography Show is part of the Online 8th Annual ZozoFest, August 28-30, 2020. Also on display and for sale will be historical artwork, photography and contemporary works by local Santa Fe artists, sculptors and photographers, and signed posters and official Zozobra merchandise will be available!
How can I burn my gloom?
You can add your glooms to burn with Zozobra at this Burn My Gloom link! We will print them out and place them into Zozobra so that your worries will disappear when Zozobra goes up in smoke and comes down into a pile of smoldering embers.
The Burn My Gloom link also let you give the gift of burning gloom to a family member or friend, a first responder who deserves a break or anyone who needs to extingush the worries of this difficult year.
How can I enjoy this event without being there?
Since this year's burning will be free to watch on television and online, we want to help you make the most of it in the comfort of your own home. Here are some ideas to help you do just that:
- Get your Zozobra merchandise here and dress up in your best Zozobra style as you watch the ghastly specter of gloom go down in flames.
- Dig out your favorite New Mexico recipes or take a virtual cooking class to put New Mexico's signature cuisine on your Zozobra Night dinner table.
- Order a Zozobra meal for take-out from your favorite local restaurant.
- Order a Zozobra meal kit in advance and you'll have all the ingredients on hand for a festive evening.
- Post pictures of your Zozobra night on your social media and use hashtags #zozobra and #burnmygloom for a chance to be featured on Zozobra's social media!
- Gather the full force ot your goodwill and faith in the future to call forth the Fire Spirit, Zozobra's mortal foe, who will battle the feelings of sorrow and despair that Zozobra has gathered to give himself strength.
- Don't forget to shout "Burn Him" when the Fire Spirit appears!
- Experience the freedom from gloom that happens when Zozobra goes down in flames.
- Winess New Mexico’s best fireworks display and sing along tto a song that you know and love.
- Go to bed in the best mood ever and dream of a happier tomorrow!
Are there traffic conditions I need to know about?
FRIDAY AUGUST 30, 2020 ROAD CLOSURES BY TIME OF DAY:
12 AM (midnight):
- Murales Road closes from Valle del Sol Drive to Cuesta del Norte Drive
- Murales Road closes completely from Bishop’s Lodge Road to Old Taos Highway
- Bishop's Lodge Road closes from Paseo de Peralta to Valley Drive
- Murales Road closes completely from Bishop's Lodge Road to Old Taos Highway.
- Artist/Hyde Park Road closes from Bishop's Lodge to Gonzales Road. Through traffic will be able to pass on Gonzales Road, but with adjacent road closures, streets may experience congestion, so please allow extra time.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2020 ROAD CLOSURES BY ROAD NAME
- Closes at 12 AM from the east of fire station to the tennis courts
- Closes completely at 7 AM from Bishop's Lodge Road to Old Taos Highway
BISHOP'S LODGE ROAD
- Closes at 4 PM from Paseo de Peralta to Valley Drive
ARTIST/HYDE PARK ROAD
- Closes at 5 PM from Bishop's Lodge to Gonzales Road. Through traffic will able to pass on Gonzales Road, but with adjacent road closures, streets may experience congestion, so please allow extra time.
As always, our City of Santa Fe safety officials may make revisions as necessary to ensure pedestrian safety.
Your Kiwanis Club of Santa Fe is excited to welcome you to watch the 96th Annual Burning of Zozobra, Santa Fe's most unique historic tradition, broadcast live for free on New Mexico's KOAT Channel 7 and streamed at www.koat.com!